1.29.2010

Top-10-punk-films-of-the-decade (for Facebook Punks slam dancing my #video comments) via strangereaction




As we close out the decade, I’ve been reading more and more top 10 lists, so I thought I would give you my top 10 punk movies/DVD’s of the decade. So, for the whiners, I know, I know you’re going to say “Dude, I can’t believe you left off KTEL Presnts Bob’s Bung-Hole’s Video Classics, their video Parking In The Gimp Spot was a frickin’ classic!” Guess what? My list, my picks!
10. Mayor of the Sunset Strip (2003)
Now, I’m aware of a directors ability to manipulate emotions through different editing techniques, and soundtrack changes, so when I watch these flicks I try not to be influenced by these things, and try to concentrate on the subject, but in this case, I don’t if it’s the directors doing or if it’s just Rodney Bingenheimer’s life – this was a sad and depressing film when it didn’t need to be. The man led a life most people would be envious of. His “girlfriend” only saw him as a friend, his family seems horribly uncomfortable around him, and his “assistant” appears to “betray” him. Sad stuff.
9. We Jam Econo – The Story of the Minutemen (2005)
This virtually a who’s who of the SST world. Even if you weren’t a huge Minutemen fan, it’s a very good film, and a nice stroll down memory lane.
I really love the Clash, and any and all information on these guys I eat up, but the campfire narrative could have been left out. Otherwise, very informative.
7. Punk: Attitude (2005)
This is decent flick. Unfortunately, too much time is spent on “no wave.”
This is about the best documentary on punk I have ever seen. They put a heck of a lot of research into this, but like all things on this genre . . . things get left out, no Misfits, but otherwise a real good piece on the American Punk scene. My only real complaint is the complete bias towards Boston bands, both in the book and movie.


5. The Filth and the Fury (2000)
This was the best documentary on punk I had ever seen until American Hardcore. These guys were great.
The little commentaries from Billy Idol and Siouxsie Sioux really help create a fuller story. Good stuff.

read 4 to 1 after the mohawk


4. End of The Century: The Story of The Ramones (2005)

Though I don’t truly believe these guys were “punk” by the definition I had growing up, they did play good stripped-down rock and roll, and the film is good. The scenes about Joey’s girlfriend being taken by Johnny, and Johnny basically saying he didn’t care about Joey were heavy.
3. Dogtown and Z-Boys (2002)
If you don’t see this as a punk film, well . . . . sorry. These guys epitomized the punk vibe a few years before punk broke here in L.A. I still dig these guys (and gal, sorry Peggy).
2. Let Them Know: The Story of Youth Brigade and BYO Records (2009)
I was never a massive BYO or Youth Brigade fan, but this truly entertaining and informative. I have a new appreciation for these guys.
1. Punk’s Not Dead (2007)
What can I say, it’s great? They cover the entire history of punk, and then try to connect the pieces from the Sex Pistols to the Green Day/Sum 41 era, all without telling you what punk is and what’s not. I’ve watched it two or three times to try and absorb all the information. It’s good, and thorough.
Honorable mentions (these movies were released a year or two prior to the start of this decade, or were just not good enough to make the top 10): Fight Club, What We Do Is Secret.



What Gets Me Hot
See Ya At 'What Gets Me Hot'
YouWeirdTube
The Perfect American
YouTube What Gets Me Hot
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]