1.29.2010

Chapter 27 and The Catcher in the Rye

Chapter 27

  (Redirected from Chapter 27 (film))
Chapter 27
Film poster Directed by J. P. Schaefer Produced by Written by J. P. Schaefer Starring Jared Leto
Lindsay Lohan Music by Anthony Marinelli Cinematography Tom Richmond Editing by Andrew Hafitz
Jim Makiej Distributed by Peace Arch Entertainment Group Release date(s) Sundance Film Festival
January 25, 2007
United States limited
March 28, 2008 Running time 84 minutes Country United States Language English Budget CAD5 million Gross revenue $187,488[1] Chapter 27 is an independent film depicting the murder of John Lennon by Mark David Chapman, starring Jared Leto. It was written and directed by J. P. Schaefer. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2007 and the Berlin Film Festival in February. It received mostly negative reviews, although it did receive positive notices in Salon, The Hollywood Reporter, and Entertainment Weekly.
The film initially failed to land a U.S. distributor. The film was leaked onto the internet on March 23, 2007. The film saw US theatrical release in March 2008 and won the Debut Feature Prize award for Schaefer at the Zurich Film Festival.[2] In Entertainment Weekly’s 2008 Spring film preview for Chapter 27, the film was finally listed for release on March 28, 2008.[3]

Plot and title

The film takes place from the 6th to the 9th of December, 1980, and is intended to be an exploration of Chapman’s psyche. The title “Chapter 27” suggests a continuation of J.D. Salinger’s novel The Catcher in the Rye, which has 26 chapters, and which Chapman was carrying when he shot John Lennon. Chapman was obsessed with the book, to the point of attempting to model his life after its protagonist, Holden Caulfield.
According to the British music magazine Mojo (December 2007) and the Spanish language newsweekly Proceso,[4] and other Latin American publications, the title was also inspired by Chapter 27 of Robert Rosen’s book Nowhere Man: The Final Days of John Lennon. Rosen’s book explores the numerological meaning of 27, “the triple 9”, a number of profound importance to John Lennon. Lennon was deeply interested in numerology, particularly Cheiro’s Book of Numbers, and nine and all its multiples.
It was Chapman’s goal, according to Rosen, to write Chapter 27 “in Lennon’s blood.”
The plot of the film itself was drawn from the Chapman biography Let Me Take You Down, by Jack Jones (who is given a screen credit).
The Spanish-language version of the film is called El asesinato de John Lennon (El capítulo perdido) which in English is The Assassination of John Lennon (The Lost Chapter). The Czech version is called Zavraždění Johna Lennona, which also means The Assassination of John Lennon.

Cast

Production

Jared Leto gained 67 pounds to play Chapman by drinking microwaved pints of ice cream mixed with soy sauce and olive oil every night.[5] At times, he had to use a wheelchair due to the stress of the sudden increase in weight put on his body.[6]

Reception

Critical reception

The film received generally negative reviews from critics. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that only 20 percent of critics gave the film positive reviews.[7]Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 25 out of 100, based on 12 reviews.[8]

Sean Lennon’s personal feelings

Sean Lennon, John Lennon’s son, has gone on record calling the production and making of the film, including Lindsay Lohan’s involvement with it, “tacky.” Lennon also stated on The Insider that Lohan understood his feelings and, despite his criticism, they were friends and he did not want to hurt her feelings.[9]

Box office

The film’s US domestic gross as of June 9, 2008 is $56,215, making it a massive financial failure.[10] On its opening weekend, it delivered the nations’ highest per screen average of $13,900.[11]

Home media release

The film was released on April 28, 2008 in the UK.[12] The film was released on DVD in the US on July 1, 2008 in exclusives, and everywhere September 30, 2008.

 

The Catcher in the Rye Quotes

Find the perfect quote to float your boat. Shmoop breaks down key quotations from The Catcher in the Rye.

Innocence

Most guys at Pencey just talked about having sexual intercourse with girls all the time – like Ackley, for instance – but old Stradlater really did it. I was personally acquainte...

Mortality

The thing was, I couldn't think of a room or a house or anything to describe the way Stradlater said he had to have. I'm not too crazy about describing rooms and houses anyway. So what I did, I wro...

Youth

"Boy!" I said. I also say "Boy!" quite a lot. Partly because I have a lousy vocabulary and partly because I act quite young for my age sometimes. I was sixteen then, and I'm seventeen now, and some...

Isolation

Anyway, it was the Saturday of the football game. […] I remember around three o'clock that afternoon I was standing way the hell up on top of Thomsen Hill. […] You could see the whole f...

Sexuality and Sexual Identity

"She's a dancer," I said. "Ballet and all. She used to practice about two hours every day, right in the middle of the hottest weather and all. She was worried that it might make her legs lousy--all...

Sadness

What I was really hanging around for, I was trying to feel some kind of good-by. I mean I've left schools and places I didn't even know I was leaving them. I hate that. I don't care if it's a sad g...

Wisdom and Knowledge

"Well. . . they'll be pretty irritated about it," I said. "They really will. This is about the fourth school I've gone to." I shook my head. I shake my head quite a lot. "Boy!" I said. I also say "...

Lies and Deceit

One of the biggest reasons I left Elkton Hills was because I was surrounded by phonies. That's all. They were coming in the goddam window. For instance, they had this headmaster, Mr. Haas, that was...

Madness

I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas just before I got pretty run-down and had to come out here and take it easy. I mean, that's all I told D.B. abou...

Religion

Where I lived at Pencey, I lived in the Ossenburger Memorial Wing of the new dorms. […] It was named after this guy Ossenburger that went to Pencey. He made a pot of dough in the undertaking...


What Gets Me Hot
See Ya At 'What Gets Me Hot'
YouWeirdTube
The Perfect American
YouTube What Gets Me Hot