5.12.2018

i'M mARRYING cRAYFISH bISQUE pLUS Big Wong Soy Sauce Chicken SUMMARY





Big Wong Soy Sauce Chicken


Summary for https://whatgetsmehot.blogspot.com/2018/05/big-wong-soy-sauce-chicken.html:
  1. This last time I went, I ordered more than the duck.  I ordered the congee and the Chinese donut and I can tell you, I'm so glad I did.  The congee was perfect with the perfect amount of pork, intestines and liver.  The Chinese donut was fresh and fluffy and the perfect compliment to my congee. (124)
  2. When you first walk in, you see the roast duck, Soy sauce chicken and steamed chicken all hanging there and it's clear, it's one of their specialties.  There were at least 20+ hanging there and a line of people ordering. (123)
  3. If you're looking for the best Roast Duck, I think I found an amazing place.  We've ordered at least 5 ducks at this point and we are only beginning. (104)
Best words:
  1. chicken (13)
  2. roast (12)
  3. sauce (12)
  4. duck (12)
  5. food (11)
  6. pork (9)
  7. good (9)
  8. congee (9)
  9. ordered (7)
  10. beef (7)
  11. follow (6)
  12. rice (6)
  13. eggplant (5)
  14. menu (5)
  15. place (5)
  16. perfect (5)
  17. cantonese (5)
  18. other (4)
  19. quick (4)
  20. order (4)
  21. noodle (4)
  22. fried (4)
  23. dish (4)
  24. dishes (4)
  25. time (4)
  26. flavor (3)
  27. char (3)
  28. yikai (3)
  29. savory (3)
Keyword highlighting:
  • This last time I went, I ordered more than the duck.I ordered the congee and the Chinese donut and I can tell you, I'm so glad I did. The congee was perfect with the perfect amount of pork, intestines and liver.

  • The Chinese donut was fresh and fluffy and the perfect compliment to my congee.
  • When you first walk in, you see the roast duck, Soy sauce chicken and steamed chicken all hanging there and it's clear, it's one of their specialties.  There were at least 20+ hanging there and a line of people ordering.
  • If you're looking for the best Roast Duck, I think I found an amazing place.  We've ordered at least 5 ducks at this point and we are only beginning.
Sentences:
  1. Loooooove this place .
  2. For all the haters .. this is a quintessential NYC Cantonese fast eats restaurant .
  3.     You are not going to get white tablecloth service with waiters/ waitresses monitoring your table every second.
  4. The locals come in .. gulp/ slurp food down like speedy Gonzales and off they go.
  5.     I would say they excel with their BBQ meat over rice selection.
  6.     If you are very hungry .. get some congee and a fried ' you Tiao ' to dip it in.
  7.     ' You Tiao ' is like a unsweetened doughnut .
  8. Super crispy and delicious dipped in thick congee.
  9.     My only major gripe with Big Wong's  is I'm pretty sure they put MSG in their food as after I eat my tongue instantly becomes tingly and my salivary glands go into overdrive .
  10. Ate here twice when I was in NYC.
  11. We ordered char siu, soy sauce chicken, choy sum, among other things.
  12. Their char siu is the best.
  13. The other stuff we ordered was okay.
  14. I would come back to try other dishes.
  15. The service was okay.
  16. Servers were straight forward.
  17. They will not be friendly nor rude.
  18. Other Chinese patrons may be rude to you if you are being slow.
  19. Or they may generally just be rude to you.
  20. Cleanliness wise, the place seemed okay.
  21. FYI: do not use their restrooms.
  22. They were not dirty or anything horrible.
  23. However, you have to go down a very narrow stairway and it is next to the kitchen.
  24. There were multiple stalls, but the doors to the restrooms are wide open.
  25. Alex C.
  26. So this restaurant is kind of an institution for Chinatown.
  27. I've been coming here since I was a little kid.
  28. They have authentic Cantonese food.
  29. The roast pork, roast duck, soy sauce chicken, and ribs are featured in their window and 99% of the time they're all really good.
  30. They also have really good congee (rice porridge).
  31. If you're in Chinatown for breakfast or lunch, especially during the winter, I'd recommend this.
  32. Get a yao tiao (dough stick) with it.
  33. Alternatively, their wonton soup is not bad either.
  34. They also have a dish of two lobsters in a scallion ginger sauce.
  35. It's a tasty Cantonese preparation of lobster if you like lobster.
  36. I'm only rating it 4 stars because while the food is usually really good, the restaurant could use an update.
  37. It's a bit too old school.
  38. They haven't change anything for at least 20 years which is both a good and bad thing.
  39. If you're looking for the best Roast Duck, I think I found an amazing place.  We've ordered at least 5 ducks at this point and we are only beginning.
  40. When you first walk in, you see the roast duck, Soy sauce chicken and steamed chicken all hanging there and it's clear, it's one of their specialties.  There were at least 20+ hanging there and a line of people ordering.
  41. Each time I've gone there, I'm worried they will run out just as it's my turn to order but fortunately, they keep coming out with more fresh roasted ducks and chicken.
  42. This last time I went, I ordered more than the duck.  I ordered the conger and the Chinese doughnut and I can tell you, I'm so glad I did.  The congee was perfect with the perfect amount of pork, intestines and liver.&tbsp; The Chinese donut was fresh and fluffy and the perfect compliment to my congee.
  43. I will be back to further explore their menu.  Everything that I've tried has been phenomenal, I can't wait for the next adventure.
  44. Yikai L.
  45. Cash only.
  46. $35 for 2 lobsters.
  47. Food came really quickly.
  48. Our tea was refilled frequently.
  49. Seats were filled quickly on weekday night.
  50. Recommended their Soy Sauce Chicken, Roast Pork and Barbecue spare ribs.
  51. Joe Z.
  52. Soy sauce chicken: marinated in soy the chicken has a great savory flavor that pairs well with white rice.
  53. Roasted duck: my dads absolute favorite.
  54. He will always eat this everytime he comes here and swears by it.
  55. I love the smoky flavor the duck has and it's juicy meat.
  56. Roasted pork: another Hong Kong staple bbqed and marinated well to give it a great sweet savory smoky flavor.
  57. BBQ spare ribs: one of my favorites in addition to the soy sauce chicken, tender ribs, savory to perfection, and pairs well with the soy sauce chicken.
  58. We come here every week.
  59. It's a no frills place.
  60. Mabelle L.
  61.     Mabelle L.
  62.     Follow Mabelle L.
  63. My favorites to get here are roast pork rice crepe, soy sauce chicken over rice, fried cruller, congee, and duck.
  64. Recently, I started buying the whole duck (uncut) and bought buns from local supermarket and made my own Peking Duck! I found out it's so much cheaper to make it yourself than to ORDER the peking duck from the menu.
  65. I think the whole duck was like $28 and it lasts several meals.
  66. The fried cruller I like to bring home and make steamed eggs with it.
  67. All of their food is always fresh and tastes delicious! They haven't let me down.
  68. They got their ordering system down pat and your food is ready in a few minutes.
  69. Liana L.
  70.     Liana L.
  71.     Follow Liana L.
  72. I've had this bookmarked for ages for Cantonese food, and Port L.
  73. suggested it as a family meal for their roast pork.
  74. One of my favorite things about eating with my family is the sheer amount of food we're able to try - which was a really good thing here because the roast pork was pretty disappointing.
  75. :( We didn't have any problems walking in with a party of 6 on a Saturday night.
  76. Before I get to the food, a minor note: a waiter overheard my parents speaking in a different dialect, and he spoke to them in the same dialect.
  77. Apparently my dad asked him what was good and the waiter said "I don't want to lie to you, so I'm not going to say anything.
  78. The food's okay.
  79. This place caters towards Americans.
  80. " LOL.
  81. That said ... my brother and I are kinda americanized.
  82. + dou miao - We didn't see this on the menu, but Raymond ordered it in Mandarin (snow pea shoots).
  83. They were the same quality that I've had them everywhere else.
  84. + eggplant with beef (149) - This was a surprising hit.
  85. I've never had eggplant with beef, and the eggplant was the perfect texture - soft but still firm.
  86. The beef was a bit too salty but was good tempered with the eggplant.
  87. I would definitely recommend this.
  88. + char siu - Aw man, this was so sad.
  89. I was really excited that it was warm, but once I chewed and swallowed it, I realized that it was super lean and just ... average.
  90. Apparently it wasn't as good as usual.
  91. + soy sauce chicken - Not sure what this is called on the menu because my mom randomly ordered it, but I thought this was also a hit.
  92. It's a cold dish, but the chicken is flavorful and tender, and the soy sauce on it was the perfect complement.
  93. + shrimp with candied walnuts - LOL we're so americanized ... :( but Port and I LOVE this dish.
  94. The shrimp was crunchy and huge, and the candied walnuts were addictive.
  95. Solid.
  96. + beef noodle soup (49) - or is it 46? Either way, we meant to order the eggplant with beef and Port said the wrong number because he misheard.
  97. So we didn't mean to get this, but it ended up being pretty good! I wasn't in a noodle mood, though, and it was a bit hard to share.
  98. + chow mein with beef - I love this type of noodle, and this dish was well-done overall.
  99. Overall, we had some misses but a few dishes that we loved - so I'd say I'm a fan! I would definitely come back for some tasty cheap eats.
  100. Chun M.
  101.     Chun M.
  102.     Follow Chun M.
  103. For old school Chinatown eats, it doesn't get older than Big Wong.
  104. I remember when they had their Grand Opening when I was a kid.
  105. It hasn't changed much over the years, but I think they had a renovation some time ago.
  106. Even so, the wallpaper and lighting are showing their age.
  107. When you walk in, you're hustled quickly to a table and if you're only 1 or 2 people, you'll likely be sharing a table with 1-2 others.
  108. Despite this, Big Wong still has (arguably) the best roast duck and roast pork in the City.
  109. Their menu is mainly quick lunch dishes such as wonton noodles, meat over rice dishes and congee catering to locals that have to grab a quick lunch.
  110. Their kitchen is geared towards quick preparation but they will heat up the wok and crank out a Cantonese style twin lobster if you like.
  111. When I sit down, I'll usually go with a bowl of Wonton Noodle soup with either Beef Stew or Roast Duck on a cold winter day.
  112. Or maybe a steaming bowl of pork and thousand year egg congee.
  113. In the summer, I might go for a triple treasure over rice (soy sauce chicken, roast pork & fried egg).
  114. Whatever you order, it comes out quick and you'll be full at a reasonable price.