Holiday Shopping Tips
In advance of the holiday season, the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center reminds shoppers to beware of cyber criminals and their aggressive and creative ways to steal money and personal information.
Scammers use many techniques to fool potential victims including fraudulent auction sales, reshipping merchandise purchased with a stolen credit card, sale of fraudulent or stolen gift cards through auction sites at discounted prices, and phishing e-mails advertising brand name merchandise for bargain prices or e-mails promoting the sale of merchandise that ends up being a counterfeit product.
Here are some tips you can use to avoid becoming a victim of cyber fraud:
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
- Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
- Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders. Always run a virus scan on attachment before opening.
- Avoid filling out forms contained in e-mail messages that ask for personal information.
- Always compare the link in the e-mail to the web address link you are directed to and determine if they match.
- Log on directly to the official Web site for the business identified in the e-mail, instead of “linking” to it from an unsolicited e-mail. If the e-mail appears to be from your bank, credit card issuer, or other company you deal with frequently, your statements or official correspondence from the business will provide the proper contact information.
- Contact the actual business that supposedly sent the e-mail to verify that the e-mail is genuine.
- If you are requested to act quickly or there is an emergency, it may be a scam. Fraudsters create a sense of urgency to get you to act impulsively.
erin and Radical Moose Lamb liked your Tweet ...
Published on Jan 29, 2012 Elvis Jerry Lee Lewis ~ Graceland Invasion F or the first and only time, JERRY LEE LEWIS recount...
Dog Meat (mrjyn) motionmaker 5.5M views 878 followers 848 videos 32 playlists Most Recent 0...
Our Favorite Band: Look at the back, two guys are still sitting in a car, and they have kinda long hairThe Perfect American DIY 7" Our Favorite Band! s/t 7" (Praxis, 1982 ) Here is another one I bought blind . I'm ...
Published on Sep 9, 2011 Jerry Lee Lewis Drunkest Whole Lotta Shakin' Comments • 447 1,...
Notifications All / People you follow ...
C aro l C utsha l l is fantastic The style is refreshing and inspirational. I know she wasn't there last year, ...
Dixie becomes sexually experienced Director: Rick Bea...
chronologically i know you're young, but when you kissed me in the club you bit my tongue Mrjyn @ mrjyn ...
I reckon he’s some unattractive lost soul who speaks little or no English and is trying to save enough money from his splog to pay for a penis enlargementI reckon he’s some unattractive lost soul who speaks little or no English, and is trying to save enough money from his splog to pay fo...